Birds of a feather (BOF). Use to be: RE: XML Configuration BOF at IETF54

2002-06-25 20:30:09
All--

I've got to ask this.  When I was doing research on this subject (XML
stuff), I came across BOF and wanted to know what it was.  Well, I found it
here:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2418.txt

...in the table of contents @ 2.4.

Here is the general explanation:

2.4

   A BOF is a session at an IETF meeting which permits "market research"
   and technical "brainstorming".  Any individual may request permission
   to hold a BOF on a subject. The request MUST be filed with a relevant
   Area Director who must approve a BOF before it can be scheduled. The
   person who requests the BOF may be asked to serve as Chair of the
   BOF.

...beginning of page 9

   In general, a BOF on a particular topic is held only once (ONE slot
   at one IETF Plenary meeting). Under unusual circumstances Area
   Directors may, at their discretion, allow a BOF to meet for a second
   time. BOFs are not permitted to meet three times.  Note that all
   other things being equal, WGs will be given priority for meeting
   space over BOFs.  Also, occasionally BOFs may be held for other
   purposes than to discuss formation of a working group.

Just curious......

Thanks everyone.

Craig Williams