Re: Pursuing question of mime types in W3C specifications and nextactions

2002-06-28 14:12:34
On Friday 28 June 2002 03:29 pm, John Stracke wrote:
It is perfectly possible to have a MIME registration RFC that references
a non-IETF document for the actual syntax of the format.  For example,
see RFC-3240.

Note, that under my present understanding (making the best of present
process) the W3C will be putting the *whole* [1] of the registration
document into the W3C spec. I was originally pursuing the strategy [2] akin
to 3240 but some think the spec itself should contain the registry
information, so I will move the non-boilerplate content of [2] into the W3C
document, and the next version of the internet-draft will be nothing more
than a one line statement saying "see appendix foo in W3C spec." Even so,
you get into hairy situations with which spec becomes stable first, and
which way the references flow under this scenario (which I try to address
with [1]) though an improved process is desired by some.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.html
[2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reagle-xenc-mediatype-00.txt