Re: Last Call: SMTP Svc Ext

2002-07-10 23:30:54
    Date:        Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:10:28 -0500
    From:        "COLES, RICHARD J. (JSC-EV) (LM)"
<richard(_dot_)j(_dot_)coles1(_at_)jsc(_dot_)nasa(_dot_)gov>

  | So, I will repeat a previous posting:  NASA needs FAX.

Since I'm the one who started this meaningless discussion with a side
comment to another message, let me perhaps finish it as well...

What I said was that fax was dead technology, not that fax was going to
vanish soon (I mean, how would anyone stop NASA from using FAX if we wanted
to, you already have the equipment, the only way to stop you using it would
be to take away all your phone lines...)

But it is no longer worth doing lots of work to try and make fax better,
that isn't the right direction to move (nor to make Telex better Dave...)
Certainly it is going to take a long time to fade away (perhaps longer than
the 10-20 years Dave estimated), but that's OK.

Your requirements for the internet and fax seem to be to save money
(that's fine, even if they're not my tax dollars you're saving...), without
increasing delays at all, and e-mail is no good, as it can have delays...

If that's true, you're talking about some completely different technology
than what has been being discussed here - which is precisely using e-mail
to ship around scanned images (whether the source of the image is a low res
scan from a piece of equipment labelled "fax machine", or from a hi-res
colour scanner doesn't really matter - what has been being discussed here
is how to have the sender match that image to the capabilities of the
recipient, who might be a hi-res colour printer, or a crappy "fax" printer,
or something between).

kre