Re: joe, turn it off!

2002-07-14 22:00:30

Randy Bush wrote:
joe touch and crew, please turn it off
Jul 15 13:01:45 roam /kernel: arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0800)

As I said at 10:30, and will repeat, this is the result of an arp cache that hasn't been flushed. An arp cache that we don't control, most likely on a router that has decided to proxy arp. Randy - if you have evidence to the contrary, we've been waiting since 10:30.

this is an engineering group.  we are seeing problems on a production
network.  your experiment has been shown to once be part of the problem.
please turn from lawyer into an engineer and turn that thing off so we
can see if part of the problems go away

We did (at 9:30am, minutes after the problem was detected). It didn't go away. Now be an engineer and show us a trace.

from draft-ymbk-termroom-op-07.txt

       While it is tempting for a host/vendor to show off fancy
       technology at an IETF,

The routers have a bug in their implementation of ARP. Yes, we tripped it, at 9:45am. We have no idea who is still jabbering. It is definitely possible that our 9:45am bug tripped the jabbering of our IP address by one of the routers. They are not ours to shut off, however.

ARP, and our use of it, isn't experimental. We aren't running anything now.

Joe