Re: Japan Traditional Craft Center

2002-07-17 01:54:26

I went to the Japan Traditional Craft Center yesterday and since several
folks asked me about it, I'm sending a note to the list.

For those of you staying past the IETF (or wishing to escape during the
IETF), you might consider the town of Kamakura, which is a short train
ride south from Yokohama.  Kamakura is the ancient capital of Japan and
features many temples a short walk from the train station.  It's a nice
change from the big city atmosphere of Yokohama and Tokyo.

This Sunday, there is a festival at the Groyo Jinja Shrine:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~QM9T-KNDU/goryo.htm

(Of course, if you're here this weekend, the Yokohama fireworks are
truly spectacular.)

Kamakura also features a really nice beach and some good restaurants
on the shore.  During typhoons and windy weather, the bay is packed
with surfers taking advantage of the big waves.

Feel free to send me mail if you'd like suggestions.  I lived briefly
in Kamakura.  Of course, any of our hosts are surely better informed
than I am and can also give you pointers.

Regards,

Carl Malamud
http://trusted.resource.org/