Re: how to take minutes

2002-07-24 05:39:19
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Pekka Savola wrote:

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:43:24 +0300 (EEST)
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas(_at_)netcore(_dot_)fi>
To: Scott Brim <sbrim(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: how to take minutes

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Scott Brim wrote:
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 05:54:25PM -0700, Randy Presuhn allegedly wrote:
Hi -

Relatively few WG minute takers pay much
attention to the Mortimer/Agnes/Duane bullet in
http://www.ietf.org/instructions/minutes.html

Is it time to update the web page to reflect actual practice?

Might it be easier to get people to take minutes if they
realized that we're not asking for blow-by-blow transcripts?

Some of these meeting notes that capture (some of) the words
but miss the point of the discussion.

That last point is a useful one, but when I can't be at a meeting I
strongly prefer blow-by-blow transcripts, even babbling, over just
results.  I want Meeting Notes with enough detail that I can pick out
the motivations and other nuances.  "Minutes", for the Proceedings,
should not exclude them.

I haven't written minutes for any IETF meeting myself, so perhaps I
shouldn't comment.  But on the page:

'They should not follow a "Mortimer said," then "Agnes said," then "Duane
said," format, nor should they contain a detailed list of changes to a
document. While these forms may be helpful to the folks who actually
attend the sessions, they are less helpful to those who have a more
general interest in the groups' activities.'

This makes an implicit assumption that anyone reading minutes is only
"generally interested" in the group's activities.

I thought attendance in meetings for w.g. members was not supposed to be
necessary in the IETF?

You don't have to attend meetings because final decisons can't be made
at meetings. Any tentative decisions or meeting consensus must be posted