DNS multiverse prefix

2002-07-26 13:23:20
By specifying the root name as a prefix?

great.  then people can start arguing about who gets to maintain the
set of names for ... er...  what were formally known as roots.
most of us have better things to do with our time.

And Most of us "have better things to do with out rime" than worry
about brand x or brand y of IM. But that doesn't mean we should
say "therefore nobody should work in it" as though this were
a technical, not political issue.

I agree that alternate roots are not part of DNS as long as you
contrain your universe to be the ICANN/USG published set of DNS
names, but there are other things floating around the net that
do use the DNS protocols and do resolve names for people who
choose to use them.

there are other protocols on the net than those defined by IETF
standards, too.  the fact that they exist does not compel IETF to
endorse them.

Nor should they pretend they don't exist.

--

 /"\  ASCII RIBBON      / richard(_at_)vrx(_dot_)net
sexton(_at_)mejac(_dot_)palo-alto(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us