Re: automated "disambiguation" is resolution in this case

2002-07-31 10:35:04

Eliot Lear wrote:

Ed,

You tell them -- you have a previous relationship (when you
credit was approved).  As I exemplified, you tell them to use
the harris.com that is resolved from your root -- an IP number.
Richard or Stef can tell you how this works for them.

In other words, make the root server address part of the name.  So, just
to be clear, you're no longer suggesting an interactive resolution
process.

An interactive process can be the first step, see below.

That's what pushed my button.  Okay.

If that's what you want.  An interactive process could also be applied
by your credit card company, specially on the first contact. But after
that, you have a "cache hit" and the same root server that connected
to you can be used witthout interactivity, until it fails or until the setting
is changed.

While I don't think what
you're proposing is particularly reliable or advisable, it should be
technically possible.

Reliability would actually increase if the credit card company would
have an automatic way to choose alternate paths to reach you.  Also,
reliability of your own root server may be better than the composed reliability
of the "other" root server and another name server for the domain.

 The way things work today, there isn't one single
address for the IANA root.

which supports my point.

What keeps my
data entry from becoming ambiguous over time?

Your actions, just like today -- what happens if you drop
your domain name today?

The question is "what happens if I maintain my domain and someone else
adds one with the same name?"

That would be in another root, not yours. And we would no longer be
overloading domain names with trademark functions. A domain name has
planetary validity but a trademark, by law, does not. It is a travesty IMO to
create a dispute resolution policy to dispute that which should not be
disputable in the first place.  The travesty is, however, IMO justifiable
because the DNS does not allow domain names to be decoupled from
business identifiers.  By adding a meta-system (as I have been exemplifying,
not by changing the DNS), there is no need for dispute resolution policies
because there are no disputes to begin with.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck