What on earth is the difference in broadcast and Multicast?

2002-08-13 17:15:40
Hello, All,

I am doing something in Multicast service in UMTS. Found something
confusing.

If a service broadcast (?) / multicast (?) data  to a Routeing Area, it
does not stop even if there is no any member in the RA, but it do have
explicit join / query / response / leave procedures.

What Can I call it? Broadcast or Multicast?

From the definition of Multicast, we can say it is a multicast for the
data to send to a group of users. But it is more like broadcast because
there isn't distribution tree truncate when no member in a RA.

Thank you!

Truly yours,

Jian Bo Huang
MSc Student

Department of Electronic Engineering,
University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey
GU2 7XH, UK
Email: eem3jh(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk