Re: IETF announce list and spam filtering

2002-08-14 06:59:36
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
The recent discussion about SPAM and it being a problem reminds of
something that I've been meaning to mention.  Currently, mail sent to
the IETF announce mailing list has the following To: header:

To: ;@IETF-Announce

This is worth 1.1 points of "Spam nature" (sort of like Buddha nature,
only completely different :-), according to SpamAssassin:

SPAM: TO_MALFORMED       (1.1 points)  To: has a malformed address

It would be really nice if the To: field could be adjusted so it looked
something like this:

To: ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

So people know what address to use when they want to spam the whole IETF
(just forge From: to be scoya(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or whatever, a couple of
tries and
you're in.)?

Not that it seems such a big secret now either..