Re: One SPAM side effect

2002-08-20 01:39:37
this mode of breaking is all too well known.

At one time (before RFC 2000), we tried to get a document out that specified rational behaviour for mail robots, including a near-absolute prohibition on the robot sending mail where FROM: pointed to an address that would elicit an automated response (such as the address of the server itself).

The effort, like too many other good things, was lost in the mists of time.

Note: Some heavily-safeguarded versions like Listserv's confirm messages can be OK - but in general, adding "-errors" to that From: line is a Good Idea nearly 100% of the time.

                      Harald