Report on Peering and Transit Economics (etc)

2002-09-29 10:19:40
I have published an extremely detailed report on the economics, technology, and politics of peering and transit. At http://cookreport.com/11.08-09.shtml you will find the complete introductory article, contents and list of 25 contributors to the effort. The report centers on interviews with Bill Woodcock, an essay / critique by Farooq Hussain and an edited version of the 6 weeks of discussion by the 25 contributors.

I include here the executive summary from the report. This summary is not on my web site and I am not posting it elsewhere.

Executive Summary

Whither the Policy, Technology, and Economics of the Interconnection of the Internet?

The collapse of the industry and of the price of bandwidth is bringing significant changes into the ways in which ISPs and the remnants of the Old Guard of Tier 1 backbones interconnect.

Some people who are affected have made some significant steps in using NetFlow data in developing tools that are being refined into what can function as bandwidth cost management systems. We identify several explorations being taken in this direction and explore what looks to be the most refined developed by Bill Woodcock with the assistance of Alex Tudor at Agilent Labs.

Bill has developed a philosophy of interconnection that appears to have a sound business model behind it. Bill's approach was developed from the point of view of a small ISP that needs to understand with as much precision as possible what it does cost to get its bandwidth delivered. His model says that ISPs that are multi-homed and have their own leased line customers need to peer as much and as cheaply as possible. They also need to have two reliable transit providers in case one fails. As long as their peering can cut over to transit if it fails, he points out that economics would seem to demand delivery of as much bandwidth by cheap peering as possible to cut down on the requirement for expensive transit bandwidth.

ISPs need to avoid local loop charges from their LECs and acquire their own back haul to an exchange for inexpensive peering and if possible a different exchange or exchanges for more reliable transit. In order to figure how to most cost effectively architect their networks they need to take and manipulate NetFlow samples of their traffic in order to identify potential new peers via a study of the traffic being delivered by their transit providers. If they have automated tools to take samples from appropriate points, they can over time get clear pictures of how their traffic is evolving through actual NetFlow path analysis.

But Woodcock's colleagues seem to agree that he has done something unique. He explains it in writing for the first time in this issue of the COOK Report. Namely he does what he calls synthetic path analysis by tacking his actual path data and doing a series of "what if" transformations on that data. With the help of Alex Tudor from Agilent labs he explains using actual data from January 31 2002 how this synthetic analysis can be applied so that for the first time an ISP, by plugging circuit cost data into its modeling software, can know how much it really does cost to deliver its bits.

These ideas are new. While our experts agreed that perhaps 100 ISPs may be doing some form of actual NetFlow data analysis, virtually no one except Woodcock had done the synthetic path analysis. Avi Freedman in his position as Chief Network Scientist at Akamai has had ample occasion to use network routing and DNS to figure out data flows. After studying Bill Woodcock's explanation found that he had evidence from his own related experience that indicated Bill's approach seemed valid. He points out that since 1999 he has been doing a "what if" analysis on "Akamai flows" similar to Woodcock's synthetic path analysis on router flows.

Our 50,000 word eight week long discussion involving 25 different people contains a quite interesting dialog between the Avi and Bill as they compare their approaches to the problem and conclude that the ideas appear to be valid. However, we must also point out that Bill's synthetic path analysis is not meant to be the sole criterion on which to base peering and transit decisions. Once they have identified potentially good peers, ISPs will find that factors of geography and costs of interconnection at various exchanges may become decisive factors in making their final decisions.

Although the largest carriers generally prohibit their technical people from participating in this kind of discussion, we were fortunate to get participation from large representatives of both the cable modem and DLS worlds (namely Adelphia and SBC). At the most general level these larger players seem to acknowledge the validity of Woodcock's ideas. However, one things get specific, they maintain that differences in the sizes of their networks prevent them from placing too much faith in low cost cooperative peering. They seem intent on joining and perhaps replacing the seven Tier 1 backbones.

As prices for transit bandwidth have crashed in about two years from as much as $800 per megabit-per-second per month to in some cases less than $100, the assumption that one should save transit costs by peering as much as possible has become muddied. Our contributors had a great deal to say about both the costs of transit bandwidth and city-to-city OC pipes of various sizes. Carriers are extraordinarily hungry for new lambda sales.

Farooq Hussain offers an essay that explains the international mess that he believes peering and transit has become due to the Tier 1 oligopoly. Although the view one gets of traffic depends on the places within the network where one measures, from some viewpoints according to Adlex and other tools it would seem that while UUNET, ATT, Level 3 and Sprint are holding firm in Tier 1, Genuity Qwest and Cable and Wireless may be slipping seriously in overall traffic rankings.

We reprint Bill Norton's comments on the death of ATM exchanges from NANOG. Our contributors explain why the price differentials aren't quite as crisp as Equinix would make them out to be.

Googin Interview on .13 Micron

We publish a mid May interview with Roxane Googin in which she explains why the market arrival of .13 micron technology will bring PC economics and costs to switches. Nortel and Lucent look unlikely to rise and the LECs switching base will belong on the junk pile sooner than anticipated. The Googinization of the LECs continues - http://www.sbc.com/press_room/1,5932,31,00.html?query=20257. The LECs of course are intent to keep the secret bottled up and whine for regulatory relief that if delivered would only prolong the crash.

ICANN's Pathology

We summarize ICANN's latest egregious behavior from Vint Cerf's trying to spin the loss in the Auerbach lawsuit to Joe Sim's temper tantrum against Michael Froomkin. Froomkin has an outstanding new law review article called Form and Substance and written in no small part to lay bare Sim's obfuscations. From the predetermined award of .org to ISOC - sorry Carl Malamud, you don't count in this new commercial internet - to the regional routing registries public rebuke of Cerf and Lynn ICANN's misbehavior marches on. The DoC renewed its MoU this time for a single year. Bret Fausetts blog grows better and Milton Mueller author of a new dispassionate study of ICANN and the root finally throws up his hands in disgust on BWG. One of the most amazing things about the ICANN pathology is how, in the midst of the barrage of news about corporate malfeasance in Enron, WorldCom, Qwest, Tyco and others, the collection of figureheads who have agreed to serve as board members can continue to go on on a daily basis in blissful assumed ignorance that they have any responsibilities under California law.

We can only hope that Karl Auerbach who HAS taken his duties seriously while his fellow Board members have shirked theirs, will give some meaningful completion to his law suit by making it very public and very clear how this group of people who have assumed they are accountable to no one has in reality behaved.

RIAA goes Beserk

The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA (609)