RE: [isdf] RE: Palladium (TCP/MS)

2002-10-25 06:38:02
I agree with you, I found many more applications that do not support s/mime
cf SSL-Certificates HOWTO on www.tldp.org <http://www.tldp.org> .

However, you can sign messages in s/mime clear text, which works the same as
PGP by encapsulating the message in clear inside a signature... but some
systems will still not be able to handle properly this mime signature...

Note that you can set your exchange server to convert s/mime messages
automatically... On my exchange 5.5 in the Internet connector there is an
option that says clients support s/mime. If it is enabled, the s/mime
message is send as it to the client, if it is not enabled then the signature
is removed (but the user does not know he has received a signed message).

s/mime still need more work, on the implementation level...

We are in chicken-egg situation, that will be solved with a global PKI (my
opinion)...

Cheers.

 ----Original Message-----
From: Cirillo CWO2 Michael R [mailto:CirilloMR(_at_)NOC(_dot_)USMC(_dot_)MIL]
Sent: Friday, 25 October 2002 12:27
To: 'Franck Martin '; ''Gary Lawrence Murphy' '
Cc: ''TOMSON ERIC' '; ''ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org' ';
''isdf(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org' '
Subject: RE: [isdf] RE: Palladium (TCP/MS)

MS promises S/MIME support in their next release, which would be Dec or Mar
or Jun or...  Currently, Outlook Web Access doesn't "know" S/MIME, so
certificate use is not possible.  It is possible to read a signed email and
to retrieve the attachment, but it requires Notepad or reconfig of the app
to which the PKCS #7 is associated.  Not hard.  Encrypted emails are
unreadable period.