Re: anyone remember when the root servers were hi-jacked? (fwd)

2002-10-31 19:56:38
http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/icann-body.htm#B170

tells the story as best I could reconstruct it.  There are footnotes to
the documents I could find.

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 lordb(_at_)nomad(_dot_)tallship(_dot_)net wrote:

I'm looking for sources of information on the hi-jacking of the usg root
servers by Postel, Gilmore and Vixie.

Anyone remember this?  It was on Jan 27 1998 when postel convenced a
number of the root operators to switch the primary from a root to f root
(paul vixie).  This seems to have been done to embarrase the federal
government - Ira magaziner the presidential science advisor took a birdy
and treatened postel with a visit from the men in black.

I can understand magaziners disposition at the time.  The postel "test"
was a day prior to the Jan 28 release of the presidential green paper and
left magaziner holding the eggs so to speak.

thanks in advance for any links you may have in your archives.

--
                Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin(_at_)law(_dot_)tm