WLAN at IETF55

2002-11-18 08:43:03
We are seeing some of the usual problems with the wireless support at IETF55 in Atlanta. To help mitigate the problems:

1) Make sure you laptop is configured with SSID of IETF55

2) Do not allow your laptop to run in peer-to-peer mode.  Set it to Access
   Point only mode.

We are seeing many nodes running in peer-to-peer mode. It is essential that people not run in peer-to-peer mode. If you run in peer-to-peer mode (even unintentionally) it will disrupt other people and the overall wireless network operation. Many new OS's will fall back to peer-to-peer mode by default. Please make yours does not do this.

See http://www.ietf55.ops.ietf.org/ietf55/NetworkTerminal for more detail on OS setup.

Thanks,
Bob (for the NOC team)

p.s.  Later today we will start confiscating the wireless cards of people
      running in peer-to-peer mode....