RE: ietf 55 network

2002-11-21 07:57:32
folks have to tell the noc
about observed
problems, rather than just complaining to your couch
neighbor.

... and the noc has to help instead of telling people to go away. I
requested a static IP, was asked why I needed one, 'because DHCP is broken',
and was told that this was 'my problem'. Of course the reality is that DHCP
is always broken in some way, at some point, during IETF meetings, which is
why I always visit the NOC to request a static IP. This is the first time
I've been told 'no'.

I can't help thinking that the spastic wireless network experienced at
IETF55 could have been avoided if lessons learned at previous IETF meetings
had not been repeated. Maybe these lessons need to be captured somewhere.

I do appreciate the efforts of all the engineers who have been working hard
this week to give us the network that we now have, but on this occasion they
have left this user way less than satisfied.

Mat.