RE: Microsoft uses 'darknet' to refer to PTP overlays: what do we call misuse of unallocated address space?

2002-11-21 21:36:18
Is there a reason why I become all the messages several times? Let's say
about 15 times?

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: owner-ietf(_at_)IETF(_dot_)ORG [mailto:owner-ietf(_at_)IETF(_dot_)ORG]
Namens George
Michaelson
Verzonden: donderdag 21 november 2002 20:51
Aan: ietf(_at_)IETF(_dot_)ORG
Onderwerp: Microsoft uses 'darknet' to refer to PTP overlays: what do we
call misuse of unallocated address space?

Microsoft is now using the name 'darknet' to refer to the overlay
networks of point to point filesharing in their Digital Rights
Management (DRM) position papers in conferences.

So, in the public eye, this neologism has probably now been taken to
mean this activity,

Rather than descend into hacker/cracker discussions, what is a good
label to use when referring to people who usurp unallocated IPv4 address
space, and arrange for it to be BGP visible in the classic DFZ network?
I had thought that *this* was being called the dark net, but I'm not
confident that tag will survive the behemoth...

-George