Re: Last Call: Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC) Authors to BCP

2003-03-11 12:06:27
    > From: Lloyd Wood <l(_dot_)wood(_at_)eim(_dot_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>

    > Do you like quoting dictionary definitions but don't know the
    > background of how the definitions developed? .. Are you horribly
    > literal-minded but horribly illiterate?

Acrynomius, n,; to become acrimonious over the definition of 'acronym'.

Anyway, if it's not an acronym if you don't say it as a word, is "TLA" a
self-referential acronym or not? :-)

        Noel (who still spells "colour" with a 'u', if you want to know which
                side of the Atlantic I'm from)

PS: Languages aren't static things entirely enclosed in books; if something
comes into general use, it *is* a word. If you asked me what the term "TCP"
was, I'd have said "acronym", since it's i) not for the purpose of remember
ing (which lets out "mnemonic"), and ii) it's formed from the initial
letters. So if everyone thinks "acronym" means "a term derived from the first
letters of a group of words", then that's what it means, and the dictionary
writers will catch up one day.