RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...)

2003-03-28 11:47:49
Tim Chown wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 05:48:44PM -0800, Christian Huitema wrote:

My Windows-XP laptop currently has 14 IPv6 addresses, and 2 IPv4
addresses. The sky is not falling.

Except of those 14 some seven(?) are RFC3041 addresses, which
break a number of applications... so there are some clouds in the sky.

Excuse me, but it is not the addresses that are the problem here. There
are applications out there that have an unreasonable expectation that a
ptr record in DNS provides some degree of security. We know that not all
IPv4 nodes have ptr records, so it is arguable that these applications
are inherently broken. The lack of IPv6 ptr records for some addresses
doesn't change that.

Tony