RE: what the "scope" disagreement is about

2003-05-01 11:16:10
Keith Moore wrote:
... Finally, if you want
any app - even this "special" app, to be aware of topology,
then the first thing you need is globally scoped labels for
points in the topology - which is exactly what exposing site
locals to applications denies you.

What ???  Yes we need a way to differentiate them, but eliminating the
local one doesn't accomplish that. The labels FEC0::/10 vs. 2::/3
provide exactly the scoping differentiator this statement claims to
need. Your comment appears to be so focused on the 'local' aspect of one
of the labels, that it missed the point that the other label is global.

Making all labels global only works if the routing is in fact globally
flat. We know it isn't, so we should provide a simple way to figure it
out for processes that care. We should not be eliminating the only means
we have to figure it out. Yes, we need to complete the work on making
the 38 bits globally unique, but that can't happen if we start by
eliminating the first 10.

Tony