RE: spam

2003-05-28 12:07:03
Christian Huitema wrote:
There is an obvious issue with the protocol route: from a
protocol point of view, it is quite hard to distinguish
unsolicited commercial e-mail, which we would label spam, and
unsolicited acceptable e-mail, which could be more than welcome.

Which is why we shouldn't even start down that path. The protocol needs
to be basic and simple, but place the bulk of the operational cost at
the origin rather than the current model of placing it at the receiver.
The system needs to let people that are willing to pay the cost at the
origin send whatever they want, but make it indisputably clear who/where
the origin is. The external mechanisms already exist to deal with the
social engineering once the originator can be pinned down.

Tony