Re: spam

2003-05-29 06:26:38
    > From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony(_at_)atkielski(_dot_)com>

    > In the world of postal mail, the same problem of spam exists, and there
    > is no solution to it. .. the one and only way to separate the truly
    > useless mail from legitimate mail is to hire human beings to sort
    > through it. There isn't any other way.

Unfortunately, this option isn't available to us. We can't *all* hire N other
humans to sort our email.

    > It may be that spam is an insoluble problem.

It *better* be solvable, otherwise when email becomes 99% spam, everyone will
stop reading email.

    > No billing scheme can slow the flow of spam without equally affecting
    > the flow of legitimate e-mail, because there isn't really any
    > fundamental difference between the two, except in the eye of the
    > recipient.

I'm willing to spend $.25 to communicate with someone I've never sent email
to before. I doubt very much the spammers who boast of sending millions of
messages a day are willing to spend $.25 each message for the privilege.

        Noel