Re: spam

2003-05-30 11:19:45

on 5/30/2003 11:43 AM Vernon Schryver wrote:

That is an intersting point, but only if you think that ISPs that
don't care enough about spam today to yank accounts (even of
resellers) will bother to provide any of the things that might be
called "additional validation of identities."  Otherwise, you may
as well permanently blacklist those ISPs by their IP addresses with
supplemental whitelists of your correspondents that patronize them,
and declare victory in the spam war.

I do that already. Trace information would let me do it sooner, and with
greater precision. Also, I can be more selective in my blocks, rather than
having to block entire countries (not all of whom are in Greater Asia)
because some ISPs have multiple netblocks or move around frequently. In
this regard, being able to identify an idiot ISP gives me finer-grained
control over that idiot's access to my network.