Re: First Timers

2003-07-05 03:17:40
Rohit,

The IETF prides itself on formality. You should be prepared to wear only
the finest and most conservative business suits. For social events such
as the opening reception, we generally expect to greet each other in
tuxedos.

See for example https://www.execstyle.com/fashion.asp

OK, I'm kidding!

This will be my 50th IETF, and I can count on one hand the number of
people times the number of events where I have actually seen a suit.

"Casual and comfortable" is a phrase that describes us well. We favor the
practical over the formal. Don't be surprised to see people sitting on
the floor or hanging out the side of a building if such a location
improves 802.11 reception.

Welcome to the club!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj