Re: IETF jabber howto pointers please?

2003-07-14 23:33:29
On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 08:06:26PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:

1) Are there any open-source text-based clients that actually work?
   I prefer not to have to use a graphical environment to view text, and
   I couldn't get sjabber to work.

There is no really good text-based client. You might try Jarl, a client
written in Perl that contains a CLI mode. Other options are IMcom and
JabberX. Work is definitely needed in this area.

2) Jabber, Inc. (jabber.com) are spammers, and I would not want to
   support them in any way.  It appears that "Jabber" is a trademark
   owned by the spammers, and this bothers me.  Does jabber.org have a
   position on spam?

The Jabber Software Foundation (JSF), which provides a central hub at
jabber.org for Jabber developers and the network of Jabber servers and
users, is 100% opposed to spam and has worked hard to ensure that spam
is extremely difficult (it's always dangerous to say impossible) over
Jabber/XMPP. The "Jabber" trademark is indeed owned by Jabber, Inc. but
is currently being transferred to the JSF (it was purchased from its
previous owner, Oquirrh Technologies, by the parent company of Jabber,
Inc. in order to prevent potential liabilities early in the development
of the open-source Jabber developer community, which predated Jabber,
Inc.); that transfer is not yet complete, but work is proceeding. The
JSF is a non-profit membership organization but has several sponsoring
companies, one of which is Jabber, Inc.; while we have no control over
our sponsors, as executive director of the JSF I will work to persuade
any sponsoring company that sends unsoliticed bulk email to cease and
desist.

Feel free to contact me via email or jabber at <stpeter(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org>
if
you would like to discuss this further.

Peter

--