RE: doubt

2003-07-28 01:38:49
Proposed Standard is one (the first) of the Standards Track Maturity Levels.
See Section 4.1 in RFC 2026.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohit Gupta [mailto:rohitgupta416(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com]
Sent: 28 July, 2003 11:02 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: doubt

Hi,

What is the procedure to convert a document from
"standards track" to "proposed standard"?

As i understand, it goes something like this.

IETF after a lot of discussions comes up with a
protoocol which it thinks can solve the problem
plauging this world (ISPs). After everyone is
convinced we come out with a "standards track" doc.
ALl vendors are supposed to comply/conform with it.

The implementations start rolling out.

Over a period of time, people learn more about this
new protocol, gain more experience and then they come
out with another RFC which explains this new protocol
and they call it the "proposed standard"

Is my understanding of the procedure correct? And
generally how long (in years approx) does it take for
a specificiation to mature from a "standards track" to
a proposed standard.

Cheers,
Rohit