Out of Office Reply & junkmail

2003-10-03 16:49:54
Ladies and gentlemen,

Is there any relationship between turning on an Out of Office Reply and
receiving a lot of junk/spammail?

There is a reason why I ask you this..

When I went for a 2 weeks holiday, I turned on my Out of Office Reply.
After those 2 weeks, when I got back at the office, I had received
250(!) spammails. I guess it is unnecessary to mention the contents
here. ;)

A few weeks later I got ill and stayed home, so I was not able to turn
on my Out of Office Reply.
After my return at the office, I only had received 2 spammails.

Then I had another holiday and I turned my Out of Office Reply on.
And guess what happened!
169 spammails when I returned at the office. After being absent for 7
working days.

At that moment the thought crossed my mind that there MUST be any
relationship between turning Out of Office Reply on, and receiving
junk/spammail.

So, am I right or am I wrong about this Out of Office issue?

If there is already an answer to this question, please let me know where
I can find it.

Very kind regards,

A. Kremer