Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-30 00:21:38
Valdis,

I think your example underscores the difference between localization
of an interface to make use of local language/script and globalization
that permits interworking among all parties, independent of their local
language and script.

the confusion between these two (familiar user interfaces vs ability
to communicate with everyone) makes for a good deal of debate.

I hope can keep in mind both of these desirable aspects but most
especially our ability to preserve the global communication needed.

The dialing of telephone numbers relies on the ability of every
party to enter digits while the system does not care much about
what language we speak. One might think of Latin-A as the Internet
equivalent of digits - however, I don't know whether it is a valid
analogy.

vint