Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-11-03 07:23:26
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu writes:
So my question remains: are we doing the 3 billion asians a favor by forcing them to be able to tell the difference between e-caron and e-breve?

I got some advertising for www.renault-branchenloesungen.de the other day, because I'm part of the target group "clearly" expressed by that domain name.

Is Renault doing the people on this list, or those three billion Asians, a favour by using such an incomprehensible domain name? Not? But I don't think it's a problem either.

And I don't think the number of people who need to deal with e-macron, but don't know Lithuanian or Lettish, will be big. It'll be self-regulatingly small. People like you (Valdis), who might expose e-macron to us foreigners, tend to make our lives easier by changing the way you spell your names. Sure, if you were to insist that we (or those three billion) spell your name correctly, you'd cause some pain. But you don't, so that macron of yours isn't a problem for us.

(Btw, are those the right languages for e-macron? I'm fuzzy on that.)

--Arnt