Re: report on the wlan difficulties in IETF?

2003-11-19 08:33:15
Jari,

I will be working on a summary document that pulls together the technical
items we witnessed at the meeting.

--Brett

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 08:15, Jari Arkko wrote:
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has documented the situation of the IETF wireless
network and analyzed the experienced difficulties? I'd be interested
in looking at the causes of the difficulties. There's a lot of anecdotal
information about the capabilities of the protocols and advice on what
to do on this list. But it would be good to know what was the real cause
of difficulties. Say, its pretty useless to authenticate beacons if
the radios are simply swamped by too many nodes who think they are
access points. Similarly, access control a la 802.1X does not help
if the interferences are caused during or before access authentication
has taken place. Or a correctly operating radio network is no good if
all of its capacity is used by the legitimate, but infected, hosts
for something non-productive. The bottom line is that finger pointing
(staff, ieee, fcc, ourselves...), if useful at all, should come after we
find out what happened.

I suspect the IETF network is pretty the worst case scenario for
current wireless LANs (or can someone point an even more demanding
case?). But what we do today will be done tomorrow by regular users...

--Jari