Re: national security

2003-11-29 11:04:52
John C Klensin wrote:

With regard to ICANN and its processes, I don't much like the
way a good deal of that has turned out, even while I believe
that things are gradually getting better.  I lament the set of
decisions that led to the US Govt deciding that it needed to be
actively involved and to some of the risks, delays, and socially
undesirable statements that situation has created.

OK, the big issue for those countries that want ICANN to be disbanded and for the Internet to be handed over to the ITU is quite simple: ICANN is a US-government controlled entity subject to US/Californian law. That's great if you're the US government and even semi-reasonable if you're an American. Absolutely awful if you're Chinese or Korean. The IETF is about as close as we've got as an "authority" on the Internet that is not bounded by geographic boundaries, governmental control or commercial contract. You can make a reasonable argument that we should be running the show here, not ICANN.

The UNITC meeting needed to happen several years ago, but now we're there, realistically there is only one option left for a single, cohesive Internet to remain whilst taking into account ALL the World's population: ICANN needs to become a UN body.

general".  So, while ICANN, IMO, continues to need careful
watching -- most importantly to be sure that it does not expand
into "governance" issues that are outside its rational scope-- I
don't see "give it to XXX" or "everyone runs off in his own
direction" as viable alternatives.

Neither do I, but ICANN have clearly demonstrated:

1. They don't listen to us, or those parties who have a genuine vested interest in the Internet, UNLESS that party is a US Commercial or Governmental entity.

2. Their incompetence at politcal levels has actually caused a delay in making the Internet available to those countries that need access to affordable communications infrastructures the most.

3. Putting Computer Scientists in charge of anything is fundamentally a bad idea. In fact, they have shown they are worse at being in charge than politicians and lawyers... they will never get another chance after this god-awful mess.

In ICANN's support, the alternative - the "ITU idea" - is *horrible*. The ITU is not about open communications infrastrucutres - it's about *closed* infrastructures with contracts and licensing and costs and the other paraphenalia we want to limit the effect of in the context of the Internet.

On the other hand, one of the nice things about the network as
it is now constituted is that anyone has the option of
opting-out: disconnecting, setting up a private DNS and a
private addressing system, and communicating, if at all, through
a restrictive, address-and-protocol-translating gateway.  We

No, no, no, NO. To allow this would to happen would be a genuine shame. How popular is Internet2? Why? I rest my case...

--
Paul Robinson