Re: IPv6 address space lifetime, was: national security

2003-11-30 04:19:36
On 30-nov-03, at 4:17, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

The "at current burn rate" assumption is far from safe though...

Oh? Have any better-than-handwaving reasons to suspect the current allocation rate will change drastically?

I have a slightly better than handwaving indication that the current statistics don't show the full picture. In the past 4 years we've seen large scale always-on internet access deployment. However, this doesn't show up in the address space usage statistics. So addresses must be coming from other places than just the IANA storage rooms.

Much of the world isn't online yet, but quite frankly,
those areas have severe infrastructure and economic problems to resolve
before they start chewing up a lot of address space (yes, China and India have enough warm bodies to burn out the address space - they don't have the
monetary units to do so).

It seems there are (or were) 450 million bicycles in China. Think about it: what's cheaper to mass produce, a 20 kilo steel bicycle with lots of intricate mechanics, or a simple 1 kilo plastic sub-laptop?

I'm more than happy to accept any realistic projections that point to
a change in the burn rate - if you know of something I've overlooked,
please enlighten us....

I believe there are many factors that aren't accounted for in the current projections. For instance, some ISPs use non-RIR space they've held for a long time to give to customers. (See 12.0.0.0/8.) Another factor is that when people change ISPs, they have to renumber. Since the policies, and especially the way they are applied, have grown progressively more strict the past ten years or so, this often means the organization in question gets fewer addresses from the new ISP than they used to have at their old ISP. There is more, but let me finish by observing that it's not much fun anymore to announce a /16 let alone a /8 over BGP due to all the worm scanning that's going on these days.

The current IPv4 address consumption statistics are like measuring a pile of books stacked on a big pillow. The stack doesn't seem to grow that fast, until all the air is out of the pillow and it doesn't compress any further. Then the pile starts growing higher much faster.

So while I completely agree there is no reason to worry about IPv4 address depletion the next five years or so, I wouldn't count on significant numbers of IPv4 addresses being available in 10 or 20 years.