Re: national security

2003-12-01 19:05:33
At 22:21 01/12/03, Paul Vixie wrote:
jefsey(_at_)club-internet(_dot_)fr ("J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin") writes:

> Most of all when the hacker seats in the Oval Office, what is the solution?
> Kaspurcheff was not the only root hacker to be known. Jon Postel was too.

good bye, sir.
--
Paul Vixie

Dear Mr. Vixie,
Things will not fall a part on Dec 6th by midnight. But if 189 States and USA do not agree on something reasonable on THIS point, we will enter a period where there will be progressive disagreements over the naming, IMHO to no one's benefit. And the necessary changes will then not occur smoothly. Europe supports the US position with some internal differences which permit to help a compromise.

Unless you really want to say good bye to the whole thing, why don't you help?

For example, are we not able to just devise a procedure and a system which build the root file from the TLD Managers owns real time data? Would Vint have responded that, it was stability for ICANN and IETF for years. OK, ICANN's stablity through power greed is inadequate, but is that not also inadequate to permit it? And not to consider who to change that situation?

Be sure that whatever the outcome of Dec. 5/6, the IANA US root file management is condemned. And probably ICANN in two years time if it stick to it. The USA are not going to support them. As they did not in Marrakech for the IDNs. What would be their advantage?

The important issue is to know what will replace it? An automated compilation of the TLD Managers data by IANA would be preferable to an ITU system, after a rought debate and transfer.
Best regards
jfc morfin