Re[2]: IPv6 addressing limitations (was "national security")

2003-12-02 13:48:29
Schiro, Dan writes:

This is a dangerous prospect.  The company I work for makes a networking
stack and our IPv6 implementation expects the lower 64 bits to be the unique
interface identifier.

Does anyone see how wasteful this is?  What's the likelihood of having
2^64 unique interfaces in the world?

Now would be the time to change the spec if its going
to be done, otherwise it will already have market
penetration just like NAT.

I think that anyone with a choice should stay away from IPv6 for as long
as possible.

No matter how the spec is changed, it will still be a mess.  It's pretty
obvious that nobody knows what he is doing.