Re: national security - proposed follow-up

2003-12-06 15:11:34
On 03:13 06/12/03, Harald Tveit Alvestrand said:
Jefsey,
which "we" are you speaking on behalf of?

--On 27. november 2003 23:20 +0100 jfcm <info(_at_)utel(_dot_)net> wrote:
While parallel issues start being discussed and better understood at WSIS, we have next week a meeting on Internet national security, sovereignty and innovation capacity.

Dear Harald,
Sorry only sent to you by mistake. Question was public. Response must also be.

I was asked and documented that and invited people interested and having French to join or to ask for the preparatory document. This is of lesser interest now: the outcome are. They will probably published with the engaged actions after the next meeting we have early January. I was writing you a mail when I received yours. I will swicth to it now.
___

My vision of the network and international relations is NOT the vision of ICANN, IAB, IETF. Everyone in here understood that. In a way, it is the vision that 189 Govs are going to publish in Geneva next week, giving responsiblity to ITU (unless the whole preparatory documents are scrapped).

I welcome this. But with a big if. If an "I" sector is created for the Information/Internet (highest) layers.

I started an action six months ago (http://i-sector.org) to create an ITU Focus Group that will use the inter-WSIS period (2004-2005) to make that Sector voted by the second Submit. This is not a small target, but the processus is simple : to write, document and propose a charter (or ToRs: Terms of Reference) for a Focus (Working) Group to Mr. Zao. The letter is to be signed by one Member. This permits us (internet community) to keep the initiative. Or we will be discussed as part of ITU-T by Govs. This kind of thing takes time and do not call for mails, but for work, personal direct links, time.

Such a Focus Group will be open to everyone serious and work on the reasons why to have an I-Sector and how. It should start with a preparatory meeting in Geneva on the aftermath of the WSIS and gather the largest number of members from the Internet governance (you may object but no to participate to that kind of effort would be a mistake). To set-up a professionnal, Gov accepted, industry trusted, civil society supported, world wide governance for the WSIS network to develop and get approved.

The important point is to understand what is IETF in this, where IETF wants to fit (and ICANN) and which support it may get and credentials it may provide.

This is going to hurt many one's pride: we are to accept that WSIS declarations are the World's Project Description and the World's Network Specs for the World's higher layers system. You may dispute it, but this is what it is and this is the way it is going to be plaid. These loayers currently uses the IETF solutions and the ICANN network management. But it is to be renewed and the decision is, de facto, delegated to a "users" consensus advized by ITU. So IETF/ICANN have two tasks:

1. to make the current system better work along the customer's requirments to keep in tune, 2. to win the customer's trust and approval for an evolution of the system towards a total redesign that the US and other Govs or Corporations have otherwise already decided and engaged.

To try to add some last minute competitve edge to IETF (sometimes works), in having the resolutions made more favorable, I started the "National Security" thread (something they could fully understand) and made sure that people I know, who could make a few words changed in the final declarations, would get a daily copy from it. So they might build by themselves an opinion on IETF and ICANN, from the horse's mouth.

Today, due to the importance of the matter for our "customer", I suggest we start a specialized WG with a clean shit study charter. What to propose to transition to a clearly modelized and standardized open secure network technology that will internet with every communications systems and support a world wide continuity of services to the users and to the users relations. Under terms of quality, stability, innovation capacity, operational standard, costs, etc. that will match their expectations and win the trust of banks, industries, critical infrastructure managers, defense, airlines, police, cities, users from 189 countries, with a governance formula respecting the digital sovereignty and independence of each participating Gov and nation.

If we do not do it in here, now, competitively, I am sorry, but we should all understand that it will be carried elsewhere. We know the IETF competition: it is also on this list.
jfc