FWD: ICANN GNSO Request for public comment on Regsitry Services

2003-12-08 17:08:56
Hi.

This seems worth forwarding to the IETF list in case people have comments they would like to submit as individuals. I'm also forwarding it to the IAB in the event that they think a formal comment is appropriate.

Reading hint: while the proposed procedure seems, from the description, to be oriented toward requests such as

        "we have been registering only names from organizations
        of type X, we would now like to register type Y as well"
or
        "we would like to charge EUR 5 per year rather than USD
        6"

it would presumably also apply to requests such as:

        "we would like to start registering arbitrary binary
        strings in the TLD"
        "we would like to auction off a wildcard record in the
        TLD"
or
        "we would like to start putting, e.g., NAPTR and SRV
        records in the TLD zone, not just NS records."

I suspect some members of this community might have opinions on such issues. If we do, it seems reasonable to make comments on the procedures that would ensure the availability of adequate and early consideration. Or maybe we don't care after all.

Note that discussion here is pointless: if you have a position and want to express it, tell the GNSO according to the instructions given on the cited web pages.

regards,
   john