RE: Non terminated traffic...

2003-12-10 17:08:11

From: owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of
Franck Martin
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 2:33 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Non terminated traffic...

Another finding...

A solution?

I see that I receive a lot of non-terminated traffic. Meaning a packet
for an IP that does not exists (about 10% inbound)

Apart from setting up ingress(?) filtering to ensure that these packets
gets dropped before they go further, I need to communicate with my
upstream provider to ensure that he/she drops these packets too before
they go on my link. Is there a way to automatise that, so a soft can
talk to my upstream provider network system and automatically inform him
on which IPs are terminated? Routing protocol aggregates IPs, so I'm not
sure it may select only valid IP and not a range where some IPs are
valid...

Is something like that exists or a new RFC is needed?

Cheers

----
Franck Martin
franck(_at_)sopac(_dot_)org
SOPAC, Fiji
GPG Key fingerprint = 44A4 8AE4 392A 3B92 FDF9  D9C6 BE79 9E60 81D9 1320
"Toute connaissance est une reponse a une question" G.Bachelard