Re: PKIs and trust

2003-12-16 06:31:47
At 03:49 16/12/03, Neal McBurnett wrote:
If someone tried to sell me tools and seriously claimed it was a
"PKI", I'd know they didn't understand what an infrastructure is.
But arguing about terminology rapidly leads to a black hole.
As has been seen recently in the case of DNS, the potential for
confusion often pops up when tools and infrastructure and policy
are mixed together in what we call middleware (to introduce another
buzzword - sigh).

What is needed is a modelization. As in many other places.
And a lexical to use the words in the same way.

To bring this closer to specifics and thus the engineering realm, one
area currently bearing fruit is federations: communities who can agree
on policies, data formats, tools, and definitions of other key issues
(heh - sic :-).

Why to object that to Gov sponsored communities as well? The
users best favored one will win. May be a social community in
some places, a business service in others, a Law defined standard
in some other places or for some usages.

Why do you want to decide for others?
jfc