Re: The IETF Mission

2004-02-06 08:12:06
At 03:49 PM 2/4/04 -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
I propose the following as a mission statement for the IETF:

IETF is a technical protocol standards organization.  Its principal goals
are:
        To create open, technical standards that will be useful to and
adopted by the world internet communtity and the public at large.

Well put, a concise statement of mission. I suggest that the rest (almost) addresses how to do that; a principles of operation statement which could be a separate statement. To clearly separate the two I suggest adding "current practices" to the above. For example:

To create open technical standards and identify best practices that are useful to and
adopted by the world internet communtity and the public at large.

Other changes, dropped comma after open and changed "will be" to "are". [I think that strengthens the statement.]

Ed

        To identify current and emerging protocol requirements, and share
best practices.
        To facliitate the participation of all affected and interested
parties and develop consensus.
        To solicit the input of a diverse group of interests and
participants in the formation of protocol standards.
        To provide a fair and open process whereby any party that believes
it has been treated unfairly has the right to appeal.
        To work with suppliers, consortia, and other standards bodies to
develop consensus and facilitate interoperability.

Ed Levinson  47 Clive Street  Metuchen, NJ 08840  USA
Coach & Technology Consultant
T: +1 732 494 1606  F: +1 732 494 4495
mailto:EdLevinson(_at_)ResultsLifeCoaching(_dot_)com
http://www.ResultsLifeCoaching.com