Re: digital signature request

2004-02-25 07:52:02
On Wed February 25 2004 05:50, gnulinux(_at_)pacinfo(_dot_)com wrote:

i'm making this request because i need a way to
positively id the messages from this list.

Look in the normally-hidden headers.  Most lists have something unique
there.  Usually it's something like a List-ID or X-Been-There line.  In
this case:

Sender: owner-ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

If your MUA doesn't allow filtering on any header line you choose
(including ones that aren't usually there), I seriously suggest you
look into getting a new MUA.

Okay, so it can be forged much more easily than a digsig.  Big deal.  I
don't think any spammer is going to bother emailing us directly and
forging that header.

i'm
spending way too much of my time culling spam from
my real email even though i'm employing the latest
spam filtering tools.

Having the latest tools means nothing, unless they are used right.  Are
you keeping your spam definitions up to date, by either subscribing to
someone else's updates, or constantly building and refining your own
database (such as with Bayesian filters)?  Are you applying whitelists,
AND heuristics?  Are you also very carefully applying blacklists?  Are
you observing very carefully, and tweaking, just how "spammy" your
heuristics have to label an email before you dump it?  Are you holding
the borderline cases for review?

mailing lists could use the same recipe, no
messages would be handed over to the listserv
software unless it was signed by a whitelisted
signature.

Requiring digsigs on a list would help cut down on spammers forging list
members' addies to spam "only members can post" lists.  Also, this is
one of the few lists where I'd think most people would be clueful
enough to do it.

However, would it be worth the bother?  Unless there's some poor sod
already spending tons of his own time filtering out such spam already,
I'd say no.  (If there is, THANK YOU!  Been there, done that, ripped up
the T-shirt in frustration.  You're doing a great job.)  I can't recall
when I've last seen a spam here.

again, this won't stop machines from
being compromised but as soon as a machine is
compromised that entity will be *immediately*
notified by their peers.  in the case of a mailing
list *many* people will suddenly know who's
compromised and the list can even have a mechanism
that allows a whitelisted key to be removed once
it becomes compromised.

Eh?  Why would compromise necessarily change the keys?  How will they be
notified?  Can you guarantee that the compromise won't include blocking
such notifications?  What's the mechanism you envision for all this?
Lay out a rough roadmap, and maybe we can work it up into a draft, and
then have it accepted as an RFC.

Here's an alternate angle for you to chew on.  Try coming up with some
sort of mechanism that could easily be built into all MUAs, MTAs,
mailing list managers, anti-spam "solutions", and all other programs
involved, such that a user can take some simple action to sign up for
an email list, and have all email from that list automagically added to
his whitelist, at each step of the chain, AND the list owner can verify
irrefutably that Joe Luser (or at least someone at that email address)
asked to be on the list, AND in a way that would be at least difficult,
if not impossible, for someone to accidentally trigger by such simple
actions as "previewing" an HTML email or viewing a web page.  Never
mind whether the list ID can be forged by spammers, whether the list
requires digsigs on submissions, or other such irrelevant details; I'm
only interested in automating the verified signup and whitelisting
process.  (Tho if you can automate that enough that Joe Luser groks it,
that would be great!)  That's an idea I came up with a while back and
haven't had the time to put serious work into.

apologies
to the folks whose comments i'm replying to for
not referencing their names (i didn't have the
time).

You ask us to take the time to implement a new mechanism of dubious
value.  Meanwhile, you won't take the time to mention our names so that
we can at least go quickly to the part of your email that concerns us,
nor break it up into individual pieces so as to at least preserve the
subject lines.  Talk about cooperating....

spam is something we can eliminate by
changing our personal behaviors and expectations
and cooperating.

Long ago that might have been true.  Welcome to the Everlasting
September.

and it can happen gradually.

It will probably have to!

As for the lengthy conglomeration of your replies to other messages,
forget it, I for one am not slogging through that mess, even though I
see you replied to something I wrote.

--
Dave Aronson, Senior Software Engineer, Secure Software Inc.
Email me at: work (D0T) 2004 (@T) dja (D0T) mailme (D0T) org