Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-02-27 07:42:07
From: Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
To: John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>
Cc: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>; IETF Discussion
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Date: 27 February 2004 07:38
Subject: Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

John,

If we can communicate the fact that a message is discarded because it
was categorized as spam back to the sender without adverse side

unfortunately, that act of communication _is_ the adverse side
effect.  it tells the spammer that yours is an active, responsive
email account.

So send it back from a different e-mail address, with headers which
disguise its real origin.

One reason why spam works is that it is so cheap to send 1M messages that
even if 99.99% fail to reach a destination, the operation is still a
success.  If sending 1M messages got back a 1% response saying 'you
failed' with no clue as to which 1% failed, we might cut down on the spam.

Tom Petch

--
Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>