Re: The right to refuse, was: Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

2004-03-15 13:50:19
Dean Anderson wrote:

Given that, should the IETF pursue development of standards to make abuse reporting easier to facilitate the work of those ISPs that actually do handle abuse reports properly?

I'm not against a protocol to help share abuse reports. However, I haven't
seen this as much of a problem.  As a network operator, I know what other
network operators are looking for in terms of logs and evidence of
misbehavior. It is quite a lot different from what radical antispammers
demand, but those demands don't meet even the thinnest standard for
breaking a contract.  This is not really any different from, say, a lawyer
knowing what elements make up a legal case, and where to file a case. The
elements and format vary somewhat depending on the topic, and particular
court, but every lawyer knows what they are, or ought to.  Likewise, the
network professionals generally know what is needed for an abuse report,
or ought to.

Our intent (the ASRG) in proposing such idea was in order to make abuse handling cheaper for ISPs since machine-readable abuse-reports can be parsed directly into helpdesk software without a need for a human being to type the information in. Obviously this is geared towards the ISPs that handle abuse reports properly today but can in theory be used to help non-compliant ISPs to start handling abuse if the tools are made available at a cheap enough cost. The overall effect in theory would allow ISPs to spend less money handling more abuse reports with better efficiency. At this time one of the closed subgroups of the ASRG (http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/abuse_reports.shtml) is looking for volunteers to continue the discussion on this subject further in order to determine whether there is sufficient benefit vs. cost for this proposal, and whether the ISP industry at large will even be interested in this.

Like I said in a different message. this is an example of something we can do now - pick out subsets of the spam problem and possible solutions, gather small groups of people to discuss it in detail including the benefits, costs, whether it will actually do anything, and industry interest; and for those solutions that actually make sense after discussing them in detail will be transferred over to the IETF as new WGs. This is what we are trying to do at the ASRG and this is something that we can do now.

Yakov