Re: Categorization of TCP/IP service provision types

2004-03-23 12:25:40

--On Tuesday, 23 March, 2004 08:48 -0700 Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> wrote:

Perhaps it would be enough to say just that, along the lines of

  ... mail directly from the IP addresses of customers of X
instead of   via MTAs run by service providers is rejected by
much of the rest   of the Internet because it is almost
certainly "spam" or otherwise   objectionable.  The terms of
service of X usually require the use   of MTAs operated by the
service provider and prohibit the operation   of MTAs at the
customers' IP addresses.  Practically all legitimate   mail
from users of X use their service providers' MTAs.  Some
service   providers use technical mechanisms such as "port 25
filtering" to   enforce their terms of service that require
that their customers'   mail use the providers' MTAs.

   ("X" because I'm not sure about factoring that text into
each    of the 1st three descriptions or having it one place.)

However, the above statement just isn't true unless the collection of terms and conditions I've seen are a very odd subset. "You will not run a server" is typical. "You are required to use ours" is much less common, and is often associated with a commercial motive, e.g., "you are required to use ours, and our domain on your outgoing mail, unless you pay us more money".

    john