Re: Defining Internet services/service levels?

2004-06-24 16:48:19
At 9:29 PM +0200 6/23/04, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
OK, there was some discussion about different
levels of Internet services and categories.

So should the IETF publish a definition?

No: it's not the kind of engineering we do best.

Yes: we are about the only group that can get the level of review needed to prevent such a document from being a puff piece from ISPs.

No: it's about offering of protocols, not how the protocols work

Yes: Having an Informational RFC (it should not be labelled "best current practice") on this would be useful to the Internet community.

Proposal: Create a personal Internet Draft. Create a mailing list for discussing the draft. Announce the mailing list here. Cycle a few times. Announce what you think is the last version year. Probably cycle once or twice more. Turn it in to the RFC Editor as a personal submission.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium