RE: Intellectual property clarification - please

2004-07-02 08:00:03
Is it the intention to always include the IPR statement and the RFC
Editor will only "ensure" it when an IPR disclosure has been made?

I read it as "If we are aware of an IPR claim or disclosure, the RFC Editor
will include the appropriate text.".  I don't see any requirement that the
RFC Editor
add text protecting against an undisclosed "submarine" patent claim or similar
unfriendly activities....

(Whether such language *should* be added to protect against that is a subject
for another flame-fest, another day.. ;)

I don't expect the RFC Editor to add any text.  It appeared that an IPR
statement was
only required by the authors when they also made an IPR disclosure.  Likewise,
when an
IPR disclosure was made, the RFC Editor would make sure that the IPR statement
was
within the document.

I am comfortable with the understanding that the IPR statement is always
included and
the RFC Editor will only be required to verify when an IPR disclosure has been
made too.

Then of course I ask myself.  If it is supposed to always be included why not
"ensure"
it is in there for every document?

IMHO (I have no authority :) it appears that an IPR statement should be
included in all
documents.

Regards,

Sal