RE: hop-by-hop and router alert options [Re: Question about use of RSVP in Production Networks]

2004-08-12 18:43:45
Pekka,

I really really hope that there has been a problem statement...

Here is an old draft on RSVP issues:

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~pingpan/papers/draft-pan-nsis-rsvp-transpor
t-01.txt

Further point where you can use path-coupled signalling, you mean?
Not really, as there seems to be something seriously broken
if you need set up priorization except in well-defined points
in the network.
And to achieve that, you could use a "bandwidth broker":
either it's able to set up the required bandwidth (it's in
the same site, or at a site your site has a roaming agreement
with), or it isn't and the approach is going to fail in any
case, because the sites out in the Internet don't want
outsiders to request bandwidth allocations.

If someone has a BB, would you and your boss buy and deploy it? :-) You
will certainly get a lot of wasted code and effort, and make the day for
many researchers.

What I can't figure why this is happening.  I guess the IESG
must have been asleep, or the most people just thought,
"well.. let them waste their energy on that.. at least they
don't bother us while they are bashing the heads in the wall.."

One word of caution: never ask too much from any standard body, or any
sausage-making organizaion in that matter. If you have a desire for
something cool and money, either build it yourself, or ask for it from
vendors directly. :-)

2 cents,

- Ping