Re: Last Call: 'The APPLICATION/MBOX Media-Type' to Proposed Standard

2004-08-13 13:25:17
A definitive authoritative specification for all variations of the
mbox database format is explicitly not the objective, for several
reasons.

that's fine.  I fully support registering application/mbox as a media
type.

For
one thing, such a definition is outside the IETF's purview, the same
as a definition for Outlook or Eudora or other vendor/platform-centric
database formats would be.

I have to disagree here.  Perhaps standardizing mbox would be outside
of IETF's purview, but I think it would be valuable for IETF to publish
a peer-reviewed Informational description of (1) existing practice for
mbox files and (2) recommended practice for reading and writing mbox
files.  I just don't think that this should be critical path for getting
application/mbox registered.