RE: hop-by-hop and router alert options

2004-08-26 00:10:24
Thanks for your reasonable note, Hannes.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Tschofenig Hannes wrote:
- there have been a number of discussions about the bandwidth broker
concept in the past and the disadvantages are known. (my personal
opinion) if it boils down to the protocol details then the
difference between the rsvp architecture with a pep/pdp and a
bandwidth broker is not hudge. the central entity which performs the
authorization (or policy) decision was already mentioned.

BB concept applied in which scope?  BB model, as with intserv model,
does not work (even well) across administrative boundaries.  Those
disadvantages are well known. Were those disadvantages related to
that, or something else?

- from a signaling protocol point of view there is little difference between
path-coupled and path-decoupled signaling in many cases. even path-decoupled
signaling is path-coupled in some sense - you do not want to signal your
messages to networks where the data traffic will never flow through. one big
difference is the discovery mechanism. you are certainly right with your
observation that you could use a number of different discovery mechanisms to
communicate with devices along the path. if we can learn something from rsvp
with this respect then it should that multiple mechanisms for discovering an
node along the path has to be supported - not only router alert options. i
think such a decision would increase the number of usage scenarios.

The point is, if you just signal to a "broker" in the network you're
visiting (discovered in the same manner, e.g., as the recursive DNS
servers), it will know if you send it source, destination pair whether
the traffic goes beyond its control or not, and that avoids
unnecessary signalling (and signalling attempts).  Avoiding the
unnecessary attempts is actually IMHO pretty important for multiple
reasons.

btw, you might not know about the path-decoupled signaling (pads) bof (see
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/03mar/pads.txt) where people spoke about reusing
path-coupled signaling protocols in order to provide path-decoupled
signaling.

It's interesting to note that there has been a BoF, but I'd be
interested as to why folks spoke about reusing the path-coupled
signalling (of course, it can be used for the lack of a better
protocol); too bad the BoF didn't submit any slides or minutes.

- denial of service issues with the router alert option: it is true that
router alert option processing is slower than packets which do not have the
router alert option set. however, i am not sure whether this is truely a big
issue based on the most recent information i saw (see
http://www.welzl.at/research/projects/ip-options/).

Processing is indeed slower .. 10% or 30% is significant.  But what
I'm really worried about is that IP router alert -like options are
options which a hardware implementation cannot process.  An attacker
can just specify an undefined router alert option which forces the
processing to go to the slow path (instead of ASICs etc., it must be
put on the CPU), and overload the processing of the router that way.
That's not good.  That can naturally be mitigated by rate-limiting the
IP options to some small value, but such would effectively disable the
processing of options, and require that you're able to match on those
options.  In other words, anything which has to be forwarded that
requires CPU processing seems bad to me..

Btw, you might be interested that in PMTUD WG session at IETF60 where
Michael Welzl proposed using IP options for PMTUD, Mark Allman (AFAIR)
reminded of someone (him?) conducting tests on how big percentage of
hosts respond or not when there are IP options.  Michael's
presentation
(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/04aug/slides/pmtud-4.pdf) already
said that 30% were ignored you completely (not just the IP option!),
but I think when conducting tests against web servers, this was even
smaller.  I don't know whether this is caused by broken firewalls or
what, but that certainly seemed to be showstopper at least for IP
options -based PMTUD.  Doesn't the same apply to NSIS if you'd like to
do it end-to-end?

furthermore, i always had the impression that other mechanisms even
introduce more denial of service risks. for example: if you have your
bandwidth broker example then you need to deal with dos issues against this
device as well (and there are plenty of them). basically, you need to
address denial of service issues at any place, regardless of the specific
solution.

IMHO the risks are very different.  With IP router alert -based
mechanisms, you need to address the DoS risks in all the routers in
the world.  With BB like centralized models, you just need to address
then in BB-like boxes: that's probably around 1%-5% of the number of
boxes where you need to do that, and that box is dedicated to just
processing on protocol, so it should be easier to build
protocol-specific anti-DoS measures.

- firewall issues: you argue that an operator might not allow users to open
pinholes. why not? if you authenticate and authorize users then you can make
a decision which user is allowed to open a pinhole. furthermore, you already
do it today with more complex mechanisms based on sip signaling and midcom.

Certainly, the operator can make a policy decision who can do it.
And many protocols do create holes.  But the protocols don't ask the
firewall administrator whether they're allowed to do it or not; the
methods just use tricks (e.g., open an outbound session, and tunnel
traffic inbound through it) to pass the firewall whether that's
intended or not, right?

There could be some applicability to allow certain users, by policy,
to create pinholes (in such a manner that the administrator could
override it) in the firewall in the pre-determined small port range
(e.g., the hosts would still not be able to request pinholes for
TCP/80, but only for e.g., certain kind of SIP usage), but for
something more general than that.. I doubt it.

it would be worth to have a discussion on the following issue:
  * path-coupled signaling is very benefitial if you have complex topologies
where routing symmetry causes packets towards different destination
addresses to hit different firewalls/nats. melinda shore raised this issue
in midcom (i guess for the first time). you can find her draft at
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-shore-friendly-midcom-01.txt.

I think you could actually address at least 95% of this if you just
supply (source,destination pair) to someone who has the copy of the
(IGP) routing data and can calculate what the path would be like.
The rest 5% would be caused by policy-based custom routing (typically
only applies at the edge, so not an issue) and hosts with multiple
interfaces which send packets out through wrong interface with
incorrect source addresses.

  * will people deploy firewalls in the future? (particularly since people
tunnel everything through http)? (my personal opinion is yes, they will.)

I also think yes, though I'm still hoping that some breakthroughs in
host-based firewalls w/ centralized policy process would obviate the
need for getting smarter edge firewalls.

- nat issues: why do you think that nat handling is trickier? in fact the
case of a data receiver being behind a nat is (based on our investigations)
rather a nice case since you are assured that the data packets traverse this
nat (if you publish the obtained ip address, transport protocol + port as
your contact address). with a data receiver behind a firewall (in case of
complex topologies and routing asymmetry) things are more complicated
(without making additional assumptions).

There are a number of NATs which behave different ways, as described
in draft-jennings-midcom-stun-results-01.txt.  With a firewall, you
just need to enter one pass rule to enable a service.  With NAT state,
you might need one for each peer (port) that must traverse inbound
through it, unless you would be inserting some kind of "forwarder"
state.

you mention some ipv6 specific
solutions that would fix the problem automatically. could you please
elaborate?

I meant solutions like Teredo (draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-02.txt) and
similar other configured tunneling schemes which traverse NATs which
will be able to provide non-NAT'ed IPv6 access, obviating the need for
NAT traversal.

- you mention a few issues with regard to qos and charging. this is a
complex issue which we (engineers) are not really good in making a decision.
i have read a number of papers by prof. odlyzko (see for example
http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/doc/pricing.architecture.pdf). these papers
are nice to read but it is hard to estimate how individual issues raised in
these documents influence our work (and even in which time frame).

I totally agree that this is a complex issue, but I remain amazed that
there are still people who want to try to solve a complex issue
irregardless of its complexity even if there is history which seems to
indicate that it's likely that it isn't going anywhere.  Instead, I
would have been more happier if I had noticed that the folks would be
working on more easier tasks of the complex problem in a piecemeal
manner (e.g., the issues with qos and limiting at the first hop, or at
the predetermined constrained hops at the local site).

Trying to solve a broad problem might lead the problem being solved
with such means that the solution is never going to be widely deployed
to meet its original goals, and the effect is that we don't have any
realistic solution in the end. If a slightly different approach would
cause wider penetration on the really crucial issues (e.g., the issues
in the first hop, etc.), then we would possibly be much better off in
general.

That's my concern: (IMHO) it'd be better to concentrate on the easier
issues *only*.  End-to-end (without the constrains on where the ends
are)  signalling is not something that can be solved in a manner that
it would actually be used without reinventing the Internet
architecture.  Concentrating on the easier issues only would be
better, and not seeking (again, after RSVP :) the holy grail of
telecom/research QoS people, end-to-end signalling for reservations.
There's also smaller amount of economical/operational aspects to worry
about, as there are clearer areas of applicability and use for 1st
hop/predetermined constrained hops case.