Re: How IETF treats contributors

2004-08-30 15:20:03

At 4:55 PM -0400 8/30/04, Dean Anderson wrote:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-marid-core-03.txt

http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2002/msg00658.html

The idea came from David Green, and Vixie says it originated from Jim
Miller in 1998.  Vixie had little or nothing to do with it. Why the draft
claims the earliest known work is due to Vixie is unclear.

            --Dean

Elided below is the actual draft, "Repudiating Mail From".  The citation
is to the earliest known work (in other words, the earliest place someone
wrote down a solution based on this idea).  If you would like to suggest
to the authors of marid-core that Jim Miller ought to be cited as the source
of the idea from which Vixie's work was derived, I'm sure they will
consider it.

Jim Miller is sited as original source of the idea in section 10 on page 31
of draft-ietf-marid-protocol-02 (i.e. SPF syntax & format draft), see
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-marid-protocol-02.txt
I've  never heard  before of David Green as being source of the idea, if
he's still around, we may ask him and Vixie and Jim Miller about the exact
details and if they are satisified with current information in acknolidgement
sections of MARID drafts. But based on message from namedroppers sited by
Dean, it seems that David Green came up with idea separate and already
after Vixie wrote original "Repudiating Mail From" draft.

It would however be appropriate to have the same list of prior work in
acknolidgement section of marid-core draft as in marid-protocol draft

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks