Re: Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-05 10:35:03
Did M$ scan IETF for patent ideas?
When was this first written, if you have doc with date, you can challenge/share
the patent.
Maggie

From: Hadmut Danisch <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de>
Date: 2004/10/05 Tue PM 12:53:03 EDT
To: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com>
CC: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 04:06:18AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

When Meng Weng Wong was thinking about how to
evangelize SPF, his first instinct was to bypass IETF and go straight
to the open-source MTA developers -- I had to lobby hard to persuade
him to go through the RFC process, and now I wonder if I was right to
do that.

The IETF is a problem, but not the worst one.

The worst thing in that dirty game was that some were
"evangelizing" and "lobbying hard".

Wasn't it you who partizipated in the SPF marketing show at
MIT? Wasn't it you who blamed me for not doing proper marketing?

Security is about engineering, but not evangelizing, lobbying, or
marketing.

This is what poisoned the whole process, and the IETF is who allowed
the process to be poisoned.

While I agree that the IETF made awful mistakes and spoiled MARID,
I do consider your critics as malicious, because it is exactly
that what you praise what finally caused all that trouble.

Without SPF and Meng's personality show and all that marketing,
evangelizing and lobbying, IETF could have finished the work
and defined an RFC about half a year ago, before M$ could have
applied for a patent. And FYI, Meng did not go straigt to the
open-source MTA developers. He went to the evil cathedral, not
to the bazaar. Don't tell tales here.

You'd better not persuaded him.

Hadmut